Thursday, March 22, 2012

Devotional: Beautifully Deceptive World

"If only I were famous..." 1 year later, check! "If only I were rich..." 2 days later, check! "If only I had a mansion.." 3 months later, check! "If only I had an awesome car..." 1 day later, check! "If only..." What is it that makes the things of this world attractive? Ecclesiastes 2:3-11 says, "...I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few says of their lives. I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit tress in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing tress. I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well- the delights of the heart of man. I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me. I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." So often, we are deceived by the beauty and charm these things of the world offer. While the pursuit of these things may be exciting, once you have them, you lose the feeling of excitement and are left with an empty feeling.

"Oh my gosh, I'm fat!" Most models weigh between 105 and 115. "Oh my gosh, I'm flat chested!" If you're a model, it's not a problem. If you're not a model, the desired cup size is a C or D. Proverbs 31:30 says, "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting..." For many generations, beauty is defined only by physical appearance, however, buying beauty doesn't make life any easier or more pleasant.

Many music and movie stars want fame because they think fame and popularity is wonderful. they quickly realize that they can be surrounded by a million adoring fans and still feel all alone. So often, music and movie stars turn to drugs and alcohol, or develop eating disorders because they are trying to live up to or feel they can't live up to the world's expectations. James 4:1-2 says, "What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You want something, but don't get it..." When a person is lying on their death bed, they don't ask for their fancy car, or the trophy they won at the Oscars...They just want some peace and their loved ones by their side. Mark 8:36 says, "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" When you live for the world, what are you really living for? 1 John 2:17, "The world and it's desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." Remember this verse anytime your desires for "things" get in the way, when you feel inadequate, or don't feel beautiful... Proverbs 31:30, "...a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Men, remember you are great too! When you put everything that you are in to serving the Lord, you will lack nothing! Psalm 23:1, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want."

No comments:

Post a Comment