Thursday, April 5, 2012

Devotional: All For One and One For All

What's in a name? A rose called by any other name would smell as sweet... That which we call a rose still blossoms and blooms the same way even if it were called something else. This same thing could apply to the body of Christ. For many many years, there have been many thing that "supposedly" differentiates members of the body from other members. For example, some believe it is wrong to eat meat. Some believe the Sabbath is on Sunday, and others on Saturday. Some have home churches, and some have a large church building. Some believe in speaking in tongues, and others don't. It is things like this that create dividing walls. People get so focused on the "little details" that it's easy to seclude yourself from the rest of the body. While there will always be division for one reason or another, it's always important to extend the hand of acceptance to those whose beliefs may slightly differ from yours. John 10:16 says, "I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd." Though we may not all be in the same sheep pen, we all have the same shepherd. I have used this next scripture in a previous devotional, but it can be applied here as well. In 1 Corinthians chapter 12, it talks about spiritual gifts and different parts of the body. The key lesson in this chapter is that as a body, we all have different gifts and make up different parts of the body, but nevertheless, we are one. 1 Corinthians 12:13 says, "For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body- whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free- and we were all given the one Spirit to drink." Here is a good example of what I am talking about. Matthew 15:21-28 says: "Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, 'Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession.' Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, 'Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.' He answered, 'I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.' The woman came and knelt before him. 'Lord, help me!' she said. He replied, 'It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs.' 'Yes, Lord,' she said, 'but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.' Then Jesus answered, 'Woman you have great faith! Your request is granted.' And her daughter was healed from that very hour." Though this woman was not one of the lost sheep of Israel, she believed in Jesus and had faith, so he helped her.

Before Jesus was arrested, he prayed for himself, his disciples, and all believers. In praying for all believers, his desire was for us to be unified. John 17:20-23 says, "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May the also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be on as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." Though none of us are perfect, let's tear down the dividing wall of seclusion and be the body of Christ. Ephesians 4:1-6, "As a prison for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit- just as you were called to one hope when you were called- one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."

No comments:

Post a Comment