Friday, June 22, 2012

Devotional: Ability, Thy Name is Jesus Christ

I am human. What I am NOT is perfect. I have struggles with (insert issue here). But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them- yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me (1 Corinthians 15:10). Paul had struggles with feeling unworthy because of his past persecution of the church of God. Paul was one of the most influential apostles, yet was humble. Almost too humble. Many of us have struggles and, whether they be big or small, they effect how we as Christians walk the walk. My own personal struggle is the feeling of inadequacy, dumbing myself down and believing that I am not smart enough to share God's word. However, what many of us fail to realize is that it's not our own personal abilities that get us through. We are human and therefore are unable to share the message of God on our own due to living in sin. Paul talks about working harder than all his fellow apostles to share the message with others, yet he acknowledges that without God's grace and kindness, his hard work would have been fruitless. All this is not to say though that anyone is worthless. It's just saying to look at yourself through God's perspective and understand his work in you.

Now here comes the tricky part...finding balance. Romans 1:16 says, I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes... How do you get past your "shame" and share the word of God? Paul knew that regardless of his past, he was a new man in God, and sharing the word of God was too important to let shame or insecurities get in the way. He was making a bold statement that though he may be ashamed of his past, he's not ashamed of the word of God! So the answer is this: when you feel shame or feel those insecurities creep in, focus on God! It's says in the word, "I am the way, the truth, and the light." It also says in the book of Jeremiah 29:11 that God has a plan for us that will benefit us and not harm us. When you just focus on God and follow after him, you worry less about your own struggles. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Remember these two verses as well... 2 Corinthians 12:9, Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefor I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. Also, Philippians 4:13, I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength. Keep sharing the word of God no matter what lies the devil tries to throw your way! I guarantee you won't regret it! 2 Timothy 4:17... The Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment